Sunday, April 22, 2012

House and Baby Updates - Week 30

This past week has been very busy and productive.

Nick had to work all last weekend and I was not looking forward to spending those days home alone.  As luck would have it, it rained in the Mattoon Charleston area so Dad couldn't be in the field and he and Mom called to see if they could come spend the night!  I was delighted to say the least.  We planned on sewing (and Mom did get the curtains for the nursery done) but ended up taking on the landscaping in the front yard.  Of course anything is an improvement on the weed garden I was maintaining so well but the finished product just makes our house look more like someone lives here rather than like the vacant home for sale next door.  Mom and I worked to figure out what plants to use and farmer Dad did most the labor with tilling up the soil and leveling it out.  Since we hadn't planned on doing this "little" project, Nick and I had not yet had the landscape rock delivered but I called Monday morning and that night Nick moved over 1 ton of rock into place to finish up the project.  We still couldn't decide what sort of plant to put in the very middle of the area so it remains empty but I am overjoyed with the results of all that hard work.  A huge thanks to Mom and Dad for all the hard work.

I also had a doctor's appointment this week on Monday.  Everything is going just fine.  Baby wasn't moving much that day so they hooked me up to a monitor and I had the pleasure of listening to her heartbeat for about 30 minutes in the afternoon.  So far I've gained a total of 8 pounds and the doctor says I'm right on track for a healthy finish to this pregnancy.  Seems like everyone I meet thinks I'm only about 4 months even though I'm actually starting month 7 next week.  We are far enough along now that doctor's appointments will now be every other week.  Unfortunately we have to wait till week 36 to have another (and final) sonogram but it is comforting to go in more often to hear her heart.

This weekend's project was the replacement of our mailbox.  The one we originally put in was starting to lean.  I guess that happens when you buy the cheapest possible post that is only about 2 inches in diameter and required only the Nick's muscle power to put in the ground.  Nick and Sherman worked very hard Saturday digging the hole, mixing the concrete, setting the post and constructing the new look.  The results again have me overcome with pride in the home that Nick and I have built for ourselves.  We are very blessed.

Saturday also took us to a local furniture store to try out some rocking chairs for the nursery.  Jim and Karla graciously offered to buy us the chair of our choosing.  Choosing had become quite difficult though for a couple that differs in height as Nick and I do.  We were able to finally find one that is tall enough for my six foot four husband and got it ordered!  Just in time too as it will take 4-6 weeks for it to arrive.  I'm so excited to have the new chair and even just to have the decision made.  Thank you Jim and Karla for helping to make out little girl's room complete.



We were all getting pretty tired by the time we got to the last few plants to put in. 

The rock looks like it's multicolored in this photo but it's just that some is wet still from watering the plants.  Hopefully the landscape will be even more beautiful when it starts to bloom and has some color!
Sherman enjoyed being outside most of the day and I know Nick enjoyed all his help.  Sherman would let him know every time one of the neighbors came outside and especially if there were a dog out.
The finished product!



1 comment:

  1. you are looking so good and i can't wait to come and see all the improvements. i went shopping yesterday and got you a few things:) love you guys!

    ReplyDelete