Monday, June 21, 2010

California - week one

As I type this, Katy Perry's new song "California Girls" is playing on the radio and I have to say I'm starting to like it.

California is great and we certainly are loving the lazy Sunday afternoons reading on a bench or blanket along  the coast.  That is actually how we have spent a few hours every Sunday we have lived here and I think it may need to be a tradition that continues.  It is certainly the most gorgeous church I could think to go to every Sunday and if we aren't reading, we are thinking.  Not much talking.  I would certainly consider it a spiritual experience.  The first week (and the first beach pic), we went to The Cove in La Jolla, where we live.  Our apartment is only about 10 to 15 minutes from this beach.   There are even seals here right now although we didn't know that till we were driving away and finding another parking spot along the beach on the weekend would have been torture so we havn't actually seen them yet.  The second week we went to the beach at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island.  We ate lunch at Rhinocerous on the main drag and then walked through the gorgeous hotel before taking up residence for a while on one of their nice white seaside benches.

Now to the moving pictures...first are the few taken of all our stuff in boxes still in the Washington apartment.  I learned that the movers had 120 items for us.  About 100 of those were boxes and 20 were furniture and oddly shaped items that did not require or fit in a box.  It was still a lot to unpack. 
It makes me think about all the families Caterpillar moves that have big two story three/four bedroom houses full of stuff!  It makes me tired just considering that that could be us one day. 
I'm not including any photos of the new apartment yet because I'm not ready to take the "after" photos yet.  I took some "before" stuff photos already but I'd like to be able to post them next to the "after" stuff photos.  So, those will come at a later date when the empty boxes are gone (they pick those up this week) and the pictures are hung on the walls.  We do have everything unpacked already but as I said, we are still living around boxes, just empty ones this time.  Nick did insist on taking a picture of the huge tissue paper mess I made while unpacking the kitchen.

Other than unpacking and going to work (Nick) we have pretty much enjoyed our time here so far.  I have managed to utilize the pool that is just outside our apartment enough to get a bit of a tan.  Nick just burns every weekend when we go to the coast.  We are having some great food from our own kitchen and those of others.  Mostly thanks to our friends the Mielke's who have cooked amazing food for us as well as taken us to some great restaurants. We are looking forward to the year ahead and all the adventures it will hold for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment