Monday, June 28, 2010

Balboa Park

Balboa Park in downtown San Diego is a 1,174 acre city-owned playground for the young and old.  It has a little something for everyone.  Established in 1868, it is the largest urban cultural park in the nation.  This is where we spent our Saturday this weekend.  From people watching (we saw at least 5 different bridal parties), to listening to the free organ music (4,530 pipes on one organ), to the lilly pond and statues around, we spent an entire afternoon there and didn't even go in one of the 15 museums.  It will definately take multiple trips back to see all of Balboa but we learned the lay of the land this weekend.  We took a blanket and some lawn chairs and a picnic lunch and enjoyed it while watching the dogs run in the dog park (Izzy, we are thinking of you).  It was a pretty cool weekend and although we left with shorts/capris and t-shirts on, we needed our light jackets and even covered up with the blanket while we ate.  It's amazing how quickly your mind set changes in regards to what is considered "cold".  Things warmed up once we started walking and sight seeing.





I also made a quick run to the quilt shop Grandma had told me about and boy was I glad I did!  The only mistake I made was not allowing myself more time to look before they closed and not knowing that on fridays their fat quarters are always on sale.  Mom and I will need to set aside a few hours for this attraction when she comes to visit!

2 comments:

  1. I am looking at tickets right now! The only problem is the price. I can't wait to come visit. I am thinking the first one might have to be just me and the girls, or just me and annabelle. We are definitly planning on spring break. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE BALBOA PARK!!!! I am going to mail you the Photosecrets books I was telling you about. Missing you :o)

    -Aunt Cindy

    ReplyDelete