Yesterday was actually a gorgeous day. And it went really well. I even got out of work earlier than usual and was driving home thinking about what I was going to make for dinner. All of my usual "talking me home" contacts were not answering their phones so I had the windows down a bit and the music on.
That is about when my day went bad. I had just turned onto War Memorial (one of the main streets in Peoria) when the car in front of me came to a quick stop. I too was able to stop in plenty of time. It was the car behind me that (although she had plenty of time) did not see that I had stopped. There was enough time for me to see the whole thing in my rear view mirror. It was one of those times when you look in that mirror and think "please get stopped. PLEASE get stopped. PLEASE GET STOPPED!".
I guess since I saw it coming I was able to brace myself but I was still shook up afterward. I am entirely pleased to say that the Emergency Services in Peoria are great (fire, ambulance, police). They were there not long after I hung up from calling 911. So the car behind me hit me at probably about 40mph as I sat still. It did push me into the bumper of the van infront of me. My airbags did not diploy and no glass was broken. My "Built Ford Tough" hybrid escape did not however, escape. The emergency services guys there wouldn't let me drive it (although they said it was probably driveable) because it was leaking anti-freeze. And I won't lie, it took a pretty good blow. The back doors are now closed for good and both bumpers are severly crunched as you can see in the pictures below. I attribute my hybrid battery in the back of the car to alot of my safety since they put it in such a heavy case, I think the back hatch bent around it. But as my husband said when I ran to him crying at the scene, "cars can be fixed or replaced. all that matters is you are okay." It's true but I do love my car and if it were appropriate, I would send it a get well soon card.
Nick picked me up at the scene and took me home. We fixed dinner and snuggled on the couch as he promised me 3 days (and 3 days only) of pampering. I later traded in a day for a trip to the emergency room as a precaution since my neck and sholders and head were all now throbbing to a pretty heavy beat. We got there about 9, and made it home about 1:30am with a clean bill of health and strict instructions to ice for 20 min every hour for the next few days.
Again, I am fine and that is what we are thankful for. Here are the pictures of my not so fine car.
No comments:
Post a Comment