Tuesday, April 7, 2009

March...part 2

Aloha!
Being back in the cold of central Illinois has made Nick and I long for those beautiful 80 degree days in Hawaii. This was the single most relaxing vacation I have ever been on. We went with no plans made (except for hotel that is). We decided we didn't want to plan everything out which many of you know is not at all my style. It was a great decision though. It took us a while to get into that vacation mode of being ok with having nothing to do. We spent the first day walking up and down the Waikiki beaches and streets just taking in the sunshine and ocean breezes. Not being in that vacation mindset though, I could tell we both felt almost bored with not having anything to do. By the last day we were totally relaxed and completely fine just watching the waves and the surfers all day long. We made sure to have at least one dessert each day...mostly ice cream or key lime pie. We did buy into the tourist activities for about 24 hours and went to a luau one night and a group tour the following day. We saw Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation, the enormous waves of the north shore, a macadamia nut plantation, and some really amazing views. We were certainly sad to leave, but it was nice to sleep in our own bed. It was horrible however to wake up to almost 6 inches of snow on the ground the next morning! I really think that was a cruel joke on mother nature's part.

We were home for just one day before it was back to work for a week before spending the weekend in Mattoon/Charleston with our families. We were remiss to find out that my father's cousin Steve had passed away while we were in Hawaii and that with Nick's new position at work, we would not be able to make it down for the funeral. Steve was an integral part of why Nick and I are Nick and I. If it weren't for he and his wife Milli inviting my parents and I to a Mattoon baseball game at Busch Stadium, I may never have laid eyes on my Nick. It's times like this that remind us (whether we need it or not) of how blessed we are to be a part of such a close knit family. Not everyone knows their own cousins as well as I know my parent's cousins and I am so thankful that I have family that are friends too. Steve will be greatly missed by many, but by no one more than Milli. I have grown up surrounded by strong women and she is certainly one of the strongest. We were glad to be home for the weekend to spend some time with Milli and the kids. We'll miss him a lot and I know that personally, I will never be able to eat Oreo's and milk without thinking of him.


While we were home, we celebrated 30 years of marriage for Jim and Karla. Mike and Margaret Hagen conspired with us to surprise Jim and Karla with a large family dinner at Cody's Roadhouse in Mattoon. All of the McKay's and a few of the Indiana Miller's made it and can I just say that Jim and Karla were oblivious to what they were walking into. Nick and I spent the afternoon at their house so he could get a haircut and then had to get "on the road" about 5. When we left, they were hustling around to get ready for dinner with the Hagen's. Little did they know there were about to have dinner with 16 others too. It was great! They were totally surprised and even completely embarrassed when the Cody's staff made Jim wear the big yellow cowboy hat and Karla hold a balloon while the entire restaurant gave them a "ye-haw" in congratulations. Wish I had gotten a picture for you but silly me forgot her camera. All-in-all it was a great night and a celebration I hope they would have chosen (since we didn't give them any choice) for such a deserving couple on a notable milestone. The actual anniversary is tomorrow, April 8th. Congratulations Jim and Karla!

No comments:

Post a Comment