Friday, January 14, 2011

In Awe

I am truely in awe of the weather and beauty of the city I currently live in.  It is January 14th and today the high (at the area around our apartment) was 77!  The sun was shining.  The birds were singing (literally heard them when walking to the gym at 5:30am).  Tomorrow is said to be about the same temp and I plan to spend some of that time at either the pool or beach.  I only wish I could post a picture that would bring the 77 degrees to your home.  

As I drove home from work, I watched the sun set over the mountains to the west.  Of course I could have posted a picture of that but that would have required driving and photographing and I'm pretty sure that is frowned on.  Anyway, I am just so thankful to have had the opportunity to live in such a beautiful area.  I wish you could all come visit!

This warm weather had me thinking today about how you feel on the first warm day of the year in Illinois.  You breathe deeper.  You close your eyes and feel the sun on your skin.  You want to go out for ice cream.  Imagine having that feeling more than just those few precious days in April (or May).  I love it!  It seems though that the locals here take it for granted.  They don't take a moment to stand in awe and thank God for the blessings they have.  Some of them even complain about it. 

Nick and I have discussed many times what we would miss most if we move away from here.  The weather is always number 1.  followed by a list of things that cannot be put in any perminant order.  (mexican food is usually pretty high up there though.)  

Take a moment and stand in awe of something.  It only takes a moment.

3 comments:

  1. On the first warm day in Illinois, I will be sad, because instead of ice cream I will want to go to Yogurtland, but there are no Yogurtland franchises in Illinois. So hopefully when you think of the things you will miss, you will think (1a) the amazing weather, and (1b) Yogurtland. Miss yall cuz's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me smile, one of those really big smiles! I love you! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. this makes me want to be in san diego with you. almost daily karaline says she wants to come to the beach to see you. can't wait for april to roll around: ) miss you tons my best friend!

    ReplyDelete